Friday, June 27, 2008

Mindful Eating

A mindful eater is nonjudgmental, compassionate and above all aware of the taste, texture and process of eating. Being mindful means knowing exactly how your body feels at all times. You are so closely in touch with what is going on inside that you know the exact moment you are satisfied rather than stuffed or starving by learning the why, what, when and how you eat. - Susan Albers

What is Mindful Eating?
Mindfulness, and more specifically mindful eating, isn't a new concept. In fact, it is centuries old and based on the Eastern concept of mindfulness or “pure awareness.” If you are eating mindfully, you are aware and attentive to all dimensions of eating. It includes mindfulness of the mind, body, thoughts and feelings.

Mindful Eating: is about being conscious of why you are eating. Are you hungry? Are you tired? Are you bored? There is no menu or recipes to follow. It's about learning HOW and WHY you eat, and less about WHAT you eat. When you are so closely in touch with what is going on inside, you know the exact moment you are satisfied rather than stuffed or starving. To understand the why, what, when and how we eat, we have to be compassionate and nonjudgmental. This allows us to take a closer look at our behavior.

Seven Habits of the Mindful Eater : Aware, Accepting, Nonjudgmental, Compassionate, In-the-Moment, Able to Let-it-Go, Observant

The Four Foundations of Eating Mindfully
MINDFULNESS of the MIND on a scale of 1-10, how aware am I at this moment? Am I tasting every bite or am I mindlessly chomping away? Observe the taste, texture, smell, and sound of food. This helps you to pay attention to what you are doing. Identify whether you are mindlessly snacking or in touch with every single bite.

MINDFULNESS of the BODY. Listen to your body. Do I pay attention when it says stop? Or, do I ignore my body's feedback. Identify how your body tells you it's hungry and full. Pay attention to hunger pains, a rumbling stomach, your energy level, movement, body posture and muscle tension. If you don't respond, your body could stop giving you important information about how it is doing. Learn to know the difference between emotional hunger (stress eating) and physical hunger.

MINDFULNESS of FEELINGS is noticing feelings that start and stop eating. Anxiety, guilt, stress, comfort, boredom and pleasure are just a few. It's important to get in touch with your emotions. If you don't get a handle on your feelings, Sometimes, coping with your feelings is more important that changing the type of foods you eat.

MINDFULNESS of THOUGHTS. Be mindful of your thoughts. Observe “should” and “should not” thoughts, critical thoughts (I'm so fat!), food rules, "good" and "bad" food categories. Notice how positive and negative thoughts sway your behavior. A thought is just a thought, you don't have to respond to it.
Susan Albers © 2004

Mindful Eating Acceptance Affirmations
Mind
* I accept that my eating and weight concerns are creating emotional distress, discomfort, and suffering in my life.
* I choose to accept my body and weight as they are at this moment. Committing to accept myself is a choice only I can make.

Body
* I accept that my genetic inheritance strongly influences my body shape and weight.
* I accept how important it is for me to eat mindfully in order to live a healthy life.

Thoughts
* To accept my body and weight does not mean that I am judging them to be perfect
* Acceptance only comes from within myself. I don’t seek it from the outside.

Feelings
* I accept that my worth is not reflected by my weight and shape, but, rather, my worth is determined by who I am as a whole person.
* Acceptance includes rejecting the cultural and social messages I receive about weight.

Try a classic eating mindful exercise:
Among many things, mindful eating includes feeling the saltiness of each potato chip on your fingers as you pick it up, and noting the taste of the salt when you put the chip on your tongue. It’s being aware of and listening to the loud crunch of each bite, and the noise the chewing makes in your head. As you eat the chips, you take note of the rough texture against your tongue, and the pressure of your teeth grinding together.

When you are watchful, you notice how your stomach expands and feels fuller. You experience each bite from start to finish by slowing down every aspect of the eating process to be fully aware of each movement, swallow, aroma and feeling derived from eating.

Form More Info about Mindful Eating just klik http://www.eatingmindfully.com/ or http://eatdrinkandbemindful.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...